The WSU Farmers Network offers a wide range of on-farm research opportunities which create data and Analysis products used to help operate farm and agriculture enterprises, software that students use at school, and services developers use to create and host. References to WSU Farmers Network in this statement include data, services, websites, apps, software, servers, and devices. This statement applies to the interactions the WSU Farmers Network has with you and the features listed below.
The following information applies If you are a farmer, stakeholder in research, end user of our website, represent an organization, such as a business or school, that collaborates in on-farm research with Washington State University or are a member of the WSU Farmers Network. The WSU Farmers Network collects data from you that you voluntarily provide to us. Data is obtained through our interactions with you and through on-farm research collaboration. You provide some of this data directly, and we get some of it by collecting data about your interactions, use, and experiences with our products and services. The data we collect depends on the context of your interactions with the WSU Farmers Network and the choices you make, including your privacy settings and the products and features you use. We also obtain data about you from third parties.
You have choices when it comes to the technology you use and the data you share. When we ask you to provide personal data, you can decline. Many of our products require some personal data to provide you with a service. If you choose not to provide data required to provide you with a product or feature, you cannot use that product or feature. Likewise, where we need to collect personal data by law or to enter into or carry out a contract with you, and you do not provide the data, we will not be able to enter into the contract; or if this relates to an existing product you’re using, we may have to suspend or cancel it. We will notify you if this is the case at the time. Where providing the data is optional, and you choose not to share personal data, features like personalization that use such data will not work for you.
- Facilitate On-Farm Research; which includes updating, securing, and troubleshooting, as well as providing support. It also includes sharing data, when it is required to provide the service or carry out the transactions you request.
- Improve and develop your Farm Management Practices.
- Personalize our the research and make recommendations.
- Advertise and market to you, which includes sending promotional communications, targeting advertising, and presenting you with relevant offers.
We also use the data to operate our business, which includes analyzing our performance, meeting our legal obligations, developing our workforce, and doing research.
In carrying out these purposes, we combine data we collect from different contexts (for example, from your use of our website, farm machinery data, consultant data, third-party laboratory analysis) or obtain from third parties to give you a consistent and personalized experience, to make informed business decisions, and for other legitimate purposes.
Our processing of personal data for these purposes includes both automated and manual (human) methods of processing. Our automated methods often are related to and supported by our manual methods. For example, our automated methods include artificial intelligence (AI), which we think of as a set of technologies that enable computers to perceive, learn, reason, and assist in decision-making to solve problems in ways that are similar to what people do. To build, train, and improve the accuracy of our automated methods of processing (including AI), we manually review some of the predictions and inferences produced by the automated methods against the underlying data from which the predictions and inferences were made. For example, we manually review short snippets of a small sampling of voice data we have taken steps to de-identify to improve our speech services, such as recognition and translation.
If you use a WSU Farmers Network product or use an email address to access our online products or services and that product, service or email address was provided by an organization you are affiliated with, such as an employer or school, that organization can:
- Control and administer your product and product account, including controlling privacy-related settings of the product or product account.
- Access and process your data, including the interaction data, diagnostic data, and the contents of your communications and files associated with your Microsoft product and product accounts.
If you lose access to your work or school account (in event of change of employment, for example), you may lose access to products and the content associated with those products, including those you acquired on your own behalf, if you used your work or school account to sign in to such products.
Many WSU Farmers Network products / services are intended for use by organizations, such as schools and farm and consulting businesses. If your organization provides you with access to WSU Farmers Network products, your use of the products is subject to your organization's policies, if any. You should direct your privacy inquiries, including any requests to exercise your data protection rights, to your organization’s administrator. When you use social features in WSU Farmers Network products, other users in your network may see some of your activity. To learn more about the social features and other functionality, please review documentation or help content specific to the Microsoft product. Microsoft is not responsible for the privacy or security practices of our customers, which may differ from those set forth in this privacy statement.
For WSU Farmers Network products / services provided by your school or business WSU Farmers Network will:
- not collect or use student personal data beyond that needed for authorized educational or school purposes;
- not sell or rent student personal data;
- not use or share student personal data for advertising or similar commercial purposes, such as behavioral targeting of advertisements to students;
- not build a personal profile of a student, other than for supporting authorized educational or school purposes or as authorized by the parent, guardian, or student of appropriate age; and
- require that our vendors with whom student personal data is shared to deliver the educational service, if any, are obligated to implement these same commitments for student personal data.
With a WSU Farmers Network account, you can sign in to our webpage, as well as those of select partners. Personal data associated with your WSU Farmers Network account includes credentials, name and contact data, payment data, device and usage data, your contacts, information about your activities, and your interests and favorites. Signing in to your WSU Farmers Network account enables personalization and consistent experiences across products and devices, permits you to use cloud data storage, allows you to make payments using payment instruments stored in your account, and enables other features.
There are three types of Microsoft account:
- When you create your own WSU Farmers Network Membership account tied to your personal email address, we refer to that account as a personal membership account.
- When you or your organization (such as an employer or your school) create your Microsoft account tied to your email address provided by that organization, we refer to that account as a work or school membership account.
- When you a service provider (such as a consultant) create your WSU Farmers Network Membership account tied to your email address with your consultant's or service provider’s domain, we refer to that account as a third-party account.
If you sign into a service offered by a third party with your WSU Famers Network account, you will share with that third party the account data required by that service.
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways.”-John F. Kennedy
Washington State University
Johnson Hall RM. 171
Pullman, Wa. 99163
Dr. Haiying Tao
“You know, farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you’re a thousand miles from the corn field.”-Dwight D. Eisenhower